Walking in through your front door after a long day at work is one of life’s greatest pleasures.
“Ahh, home sweet home”, you say.
Why not celebrate this feeling with a quick and easy DIY key holder as a unique way to welcome you home?
Using a simple picture frame and some coat hooks, here’s how to make your very own homemade key rack…
DIY Key Holder Picture Frame Supply List
Here’s what you need to make this quick and easy homemade key holder:
- Picture frame (you need one made of solid wood for this project so the wood doesn’t split when you screw in the hooks) – ours was just a cheap one from Wilkos and has lasted for years!
- Coat hooks and screws
- Something cute to fill your frame with (we made a cross stitch picture!)
- Velcro strips for hanging the frame
How To Make A DIY Key Rack Using A Picture Frame
1. Screw your hooks into the bottom of your frame.
TIP: An electric drill makes this step especially quick and easy!
2. Make something cute to put inside your frame.
3. Hang and you’re done!
REMEMBER: You want your homemade key rack to be secure on all sides so that it doesn’t slip when there is more weight on one side (such as when removing keys!). We used velcro hanging strips on all four corners of the frame but you could also screw it into the wall if you prefer.
Ideas For What To Put In Your Key Rack Picture Frame
It’s completely up to you what you decide to put in your frame. Maybe you’re a dab hand with a paint brush? Or love collages? There’s no limit as to what can go inside it!
Here are a few ideas to get you thinking:
- Cross stitch picture (see below for cute ‘Home Sweet Home’ patterns!)
- Painted artwork – either made by you or store bought
- Postcard from your favourite place
- Small collage of photos and mementos
- 3D artwork – paper crafts and pressed flowers would work well for this
- A family photo
Home Sweet Home Cross Stitch Patterns
If you want to do the same as us and create a cute ‘Home Sweet Home’ cross stitch picture for your frame then you’re sure to love these cross stitch patterns on Etsy:
1. Home Sweet Home + Flowers Cross Stitch Pattern by SuperCrossStitch
2. Vintage Home Sweet Home Cross Stitch Pattern by Stitchrovia
3. Colourful Home Sweet Home Cross Stitch Pattern by AnimalsCrossStitch
4. Home Sweet Home + Orange Flowers Cross Stitch Pattern by LeiaPatterns
5. Home Sweet Home + Blue Flowers Cross Stitch Pattern by WhiteRavenPatterns
6. Home Sweet Home + Pink & Lilac Flowers Cross Stitch Pattern by AnimalsCrossStitch
7. Rainbow Home Sweet Home Cross Stitch Pattern by MODERNCrossStitchArt
8. Pink Charming Home Sweet Home Cross Stitch Pattern by Love4CrossStitch
NOTE: Our cross stitch picture was a very simple cottage design from this book, which we added some quick text to.
- Robust picture frame
- Coat hooks and screws
- Something to fill your frame with
- Velcro hanging strips
- Electric screwdriver
- Screw your hooks into the bottom of your frame.
- Make something cute to put inside your frame.
- Hang and you're done!
REMEMBER: You want your homemade key rack to be secure on all sides so that it doesn't slip when there is more weight on one side (such as when removing keys!). We used velcro hanging strips on all four corners but you could also screw it into the wall if you prefer.
We hope you enjoy making your DIY key holder! What will you put in your frame? Let us know in the comments below…
Want more DIY picture frame ideas? Check out this cheap and easy DIY dry erase board project!
Feeling inspired? Share this DIY key rack tutorial on Pinterest!