When I took our travel blog full-time, I wanted (and needed!) a white board or dry erase board in my office to keep me on track for my goals and to do lists.
The problem? Large dry erase boards and white boards can cost a small fortune!
So I made my own easy DIY dry erase board with a huge A2 picture frame I got online for under £20! Here’s how to do it…
DIY Dry Erase Board Supplies
To make this super easy DIY dry erase board, you’ll need:
- A picture frame
- This can be whatever size you want your whiteboard to be; I went for a large A2 frame
- And the middle can be made out of either glass or acrylic sheeting; I went for acrylic as it was cheaper
- Coloured or white cardstock (enough to fill your frame)
- Dry erase chalk pens (they write on glass, plastic, metal and ceramic!)
- Velcro hanging strips (for securing your whiteboard to the wall)
How To Make Your Own Dry Erase Board (Using A Picture Frame!)
1. Insert your cardstock into your picture frame.
TIP: You could go for white or coloured cardstock depending on your preference. White makes it easier for any colour pen to stand out, while coloured card can make the dry erase board fit in better with your room’s colour scheme (tropical greens and bright pinks in my case).
2. Attach your velcro hanging strips to the back of the frame and according to the packet’s instructions.
TIP: To make your DIY whiteboard stable and secure enough for writing on, put the velcro strips in all four corners of the frame rather than on just two of them.
3. Secure your whiteboard to the wall using the velcro pads.
And you’re done! Easy right?
Now go achieve all those goals you’ve set for yourself!
What To Use A Dry Erase Board For
There are so many different ways you could use a dry erase board. Here are a few ideas we’ve come up with:
- Office whiteboard for tracking projects and goals
- Kitchen whiteboard for meal planning and shopping lists
- Wipeable board for the kid’s playroom
- Cleaning and chores rota for the whole family
- Wipeable board for brainstorming and mind maps
- DIY calendar
- Wipeable board for memos, notes and reminders
There’s also no reason why you can’t print some text onto your cardstock before placing it in the frame to make your whiteboard more purposeful.
For example, you could print ‘Shopping List’ on the top of it or print the days of the week for keeping track of your meal planning – just like Debbie from One Little Project has done here.
Inspirational Quotes For Your DIY Whiteboard Picture Frame
If you want to use your DIY dry erase board for keeping track of your goals and projects (like me!) then here are some inspirational quotes you can write on the board. So every time you add to your to do list or check something off, you’re reminded of your “why”.
“Believe in yourself and you’ll be unstoppable!”
“Work hard, dream big, never give up”
“Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I’M POSSIBLE”
“Sometimes later becomes never. DO IT NOW!”
“Positive mind, positive vibes, positive life.”
“Remember: great things take time.”
“Believe you can and you will!”
“Today is full of possible!”
“Turn your can’ts to cans and your dreams to plans”
“JUST DO IT!”
And there you have it… your very own DIY dry erase board using a picture frame! What will you use yours for?
If you make this, don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @houseofmahalo!
Psst! If you liked making this DIY dry erase board then you might also like this colourful DIY fabric notice board project!
Feeling inspired? Share this DIY whiteboard tutorial on Pinterest now!
Leave a reply