As we don’t have any children, we don’t usually decorate for Halloween. But 2020 feels different somehow.
We all need a little more to look forward to this year, so we’ve decided to make more of an effort and get involved with some quick and easy Halloween crafts.
Up first is a super easy DIY ghost decoration, which also doubles up as a lantern once the dark and gloomy October evenings hit.
Here’s how we made it…
Easy DIY Halloween Ghost Decoration
What you’ll need:
- 1x balloon (blown-up)
- White fabric (cotton is best; you could even use an old t-shirt)
- Ghost eyes and mouth cut out from black cardstock
- Large mason jar or cookie jar (without the lid)
- String of battery-powered LED lights or a flameless candle
1. Fill your jar with LED lights or a flameless candle and discard the lid.
IMPORTANT: Do not use real candles for this project as it’s a fire risk!
2. Turn on the lights if you want to use your ghost as a lantern straightaway.
3. Tape your blown-up balloon to the top of your jar so it’s sitting on top of it.
4. Place your white cotton over your balloon and jar.
You could also secure it down with some tape if you’re worried about catching the sheet.
Top Tip: Try to drape your cotton so that it falls away from the bottom of the jar slightly. Otherwise you end up with more of an alien ghost like you can see here:
5. Tape your ghost eyes and mouth onto the white sheet.
Double-sided sticky tape is best for this as then you can use your cotton for another project once Halloween is over.
6. Place your lantern in your window or on a shelf or table and have fun!
And there you have it! One super simple DIY ghost decoration for Halloween!
If you make your very own DIY ghost lantern or anything else inspired by this blog post, then we’d love to see it so don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @houseofmahalo!
Do you like this DIY ghost decoration? Pin this tutorial now, make it later!